Friday, April 11, 2008

Ok....

This is weird. I looked up the latest results for "mitt romney" in google news, and I saw this story from the Huffington Post. The names "Erica Jong" and "Mitt Romney" don't usually go together, so I clicked. It's by Matt Taibbi, responding to some backlash from Erica Jong, on comments he made about Hillary's "flabby arms."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-taibbi/erica-jong-thinks-i-want_b_96169.html

For those of you who don't know (and I don't blame you), Erica Jong is a novelist (I know of her because I've seen her books around in bookstores, and she wrote a forward to Signet Classics' paperback edition of Jane Eyre). She's one of those Left-wing crazy feminists. Surprise that she guest-writes for the Puffington Post? No. What's weird about this story is the way Taibbi deals with Jong, someone who is ideologically on his side. The rhetoric is....well, strange. Why the rhetoric about "do[ing] my mother" and "Oedipal obsession"?

What is it about lefties that their dialogue--even amongst themselves--is so outre and mean?

So after defending himself from Jong's attacks, he shows his street cred by listing the descriptions he's given to recent male politicians (you know, to counterbalance Jong's view that he only attacks women politicians). That's where Mitt's name shows up.

Taibbi is saying, "See, Erica? I've said vicious, malicious, and pernicious things about men too! It's not just Hillary that I hate! (I also hate the men who run her campaign!"

Read the whole thing. It's pretty interesting.

No comments: