Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mitt says NO to the big 3

The New York Times has published an op-ed by Mitt Romney in which he opines that a governmental bailout for General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler would destroy the auto industry (not right away, he notes).

Here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/opinion/19romney.html?_r=2

I have not opined about the Big 3's problems on this blog, though I have elsewhere. Suffice it to say, I agreed with Governor Romney before I even knew he held this position. In fact, when he campaigned in Michigan, it seemed he would have been pro-bailout. Is there an irreconcilable disconnect between his position then and his position now? I'll investigate more later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In answer to your question about is there a disconnect between what he had in mind during the Michigan primary and now .. I say, 'no.' This article is exactly how he performed other turnarounds & I'm sure this is pretty close to what he would have suggested then. The economy has taken a large downturn since then, but the facts that he presented in this article are nothing new -- it's just that no one (in the public eye) has been brave enough to stand up and state the hard, cold truth.